Monday, July 14, 2008

Flood Clean UP

WOWSA! I volunteered with my Father-n-law to help at George Wyth State Park in the clean up from the floods. We were told to bring loppers, gloves and anything else to make the clean up process go smooth.

So, we made it to the park & had to creatively park, as we were just 2 of hundreds of volunteers. They needed crews for trimming back bushes & trees from the trails as well as volunteers for painting picnic tables. Dad and I chose to clean one of the main trails with our handy dandy loppers. ;)

Before we even started the lady told us that where we were standing was about 6-7 feet under water. I couldn't believe it! Dad and I started working our bottoms off - for 2 1/2 hours I trimmed trees/bushes from the paths. He switched to painting after about an hour of this manual labor, but I thought he was pushing himself too much anyway. ;)

As I got farther back into the park, I was timming a tree that was all grey from the flood debris. I looked up and it was literally grey 6 feet above my head (I'm 5'9"). Well, stupid Beth moment, I shook the tree and the grey flood debris went all over me. Shortly thereafter, my body got red and blotchy, so I had to stop working and get home to shower.

The bad news is....we talked with a park ranger and he said the only reason the park hasn't reopened is that they have no electricity or water out to the park at this time. They have received one electric quote, but have to wait for FEMA to respond to their requests.

The good news is....through volunteer efforts, the park is looking much better & once they get electic & water back into the park - it will reopen knowing how much the community cares for it.

Ahhh...as I sit at home now...I just want to get back out to the park & work some more (I'll just stay away from the grey debris.)

No comments: